Thursday, June 10, 2010

Playing the waiting game

I'm trying to be proactive in this whole job search thing. I still have not heard from the interview I had a month ago and I am going stir crazy. But, it doesn't mean I've stopped applying for other jobs since I can't and shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. But this one basket - the interview - is a mighty fine basket.

The whole glass half full thing? Not working for me at the moment. I try. I really do, but when you despise going into the office at your present job day in and day out and working until 8 p.m. almost every evening, it's hard to suck it up and smile.

Today was harder than most. The office was in a yelling mood. The boss was yelling at his right-hand person and shooing away another colleague, dissuading them from entering into a conversation with a client. He actually shooed her away. Shoo, Shoo, now, go away. You're not welcome here. In front of the client. How rude. And that is how it is in Cell Block C. The owner yells first and then claims he's not yelling. He's just over-excited. We're told we're lucky to have a job and anyone of us at any time would be fired. I'm just waiting for my pink slip.

The other day, after weeks of putting in overtime every night ('cause we're swamped), my boss approached my friend to ask her if I was having personal issues at home. I guess my dislike of the office is apparent, but not apparent enough for her to attribute it to the working conditions. And, why doesn't she ask me directly? Why doesn't she interact one-on-one and find out where my head is at.

Where it is at is me looking into short term disability, namely stress leave and if I'm elligible. I'm losing it, bloggers. I'm doubting myself left, right and centre and then back again. I despise most people I work with and it takes everything I have to get myself out of bed and ready to head out to work.

And I'm still waiting for that groovy new position that is tailored for me. I know it takes searching, which is what I am doing and will continue to do. I've updated my resume to "sell" myself and my skills even more than it had and I'm combing through every job listing imaginable. And I'm waiting for my second interview promised at the end of the amazing first interview I had over a month ago.

I need to learn patience and perseverance. And that is where I am at.

1 comment:

  1. Well Scribe, I don't know what to say. It definitely appears that things have come to a head. I think that you definitely need to call in sick because it doesn't sound positive. Keep trying, I finally landed something and start work downtown on Monday.

    There is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete